In January, President George W. Bush signed the reauthorization of the “Violence Against Women Act” without public debate. More than two out of five women have experienced sexual abuse in their lifetimes as per the study by American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Law enforcement is very much aware of this situation and they are doing their part diligently to curb it, but there is only so much they can do. In addition to relying on the law enforcement, you can take initiative to protect your invaluable freedom.
You might be thinking that it can be dangerous to even think about self defense when faced with violent crime. An attempt at self defense can turn a robbery into a murder–your own. So it’s better to be equipped with safety products like a pepper spray, which help us to defend on sudden attacks in parking lots, ATM centers and other secluded places. A majority of law enforcement personnel carry a pepper spray for protection against assaults from criminals.
The truth is that in this uncertain world the truest safety we have is the safety we create within ourselves. Being terrified in the face of crime only makes us miserable and accomplishes the goal of crime, which is to create widespread fear and instability.
Let us educate ourselves with the crime facts:
• 82% of society will be a victim of a violent crime during their lifetimes.3 out of 4 women will be victims of at least one Sexual Abuse.
• Every hour, 16 women confront rapists.Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.
• In 2002, there were a total of 4,854 cases of aggravated assault in Washington DC. On a daily basis, this computes to 13.2 aggravated assaults a day.
• In Maryland, there were 3,228 cases of larceny and thefts per 100,000 people in 2002. This is one-third higher than the national average rate of 2,445.8 cases per 100,000.
• In Detroit, there were 41.79 murders per 100,000 people in 2002. This is alarmingly way above the national average rate of 5.6 for the same year.In 2002, with the exception of burglaries.
• Philadelphia led all crime levels which were above the national average rates for murder, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assaults, larceny/theft and motor vehicle theft.
Violent Crime (Murder, Rape, Robbery, Assault)
Year Total Cases
2004 Not Available
2005 Not Available
Property Crime (Burglary, Larceny, Vehicle Theft)
Year Total Cases
2004 Not Available
2005 Not Available
Source: Sourcebook of Bureau of Justice Statistics – 31st Edition
We can not assume that we are always safe. Crime can happen to anyone at anytime.
Is there a way you can safeguard yourself and protect your freedom?
Yes! You Can Stop It!
Personal safety products like pepper spraysare most powerful when you believe in yourself. When you believe in yourself, you are far more likely to:
• Trust your sense of what’s going on.
• Pay attention to the warnings your awareness and intuition can give you.
• Believe in your ability to verbally or physically defend yourself.
• Give yourself the caring, safety and security you deserve.
• When you believe in yourself, most people looking to cause a problem will leave you alone
Personal safety grows from the power, energy, and passion you want in every part of life. Personal safety became a national priority and Personal safety products like Pepper Spraysare the best protection available. Pepper Sprays stop human attacks quickly, safely, and effectively. Pepper spray, used in self defense against dogs, human attackers, comes in an aerosol form and its active ingredient is OC (oleoresin capsicum) – a term used in reference to Chile peppers.
What does a pepper spray contain and how does it work?
Pepper spray products contain the ingredient called Oleoresin Capsicum (OC). They come in either 10% or 15% (the highest percentage allowed by law), and have a 2 million Scoville heat rating. OC is a directive of hot Cayenne Peppers. It is pure, non-toxic and nonflammable. OC is not an irritant like tear gas but an inflammatory agent. Contact with mucous membranes (eyes, nose, throat and lungs) causes an immediate dilation of the capillaries of the eyes, resulting in temporary blindness and constricted breathing. It does not interfere with necessary breathing to sustain life. Effects last 30 to 45 minutes. So victim can have enough time to escape and call for help.
Is the usage of a Pepper Spray legal?
Yes, but you may not carry it on an airplane and some US states have pepper spray restrictions and formulation rules as mentioned below:Massachusetts – you must have a Firearms Identification Card (FID) to possess and/or use pepper spray Michigan – specific pepper or tear gas formulations are requiredNew York – pepper spray must be purchased from a New York state licensed firearm dealer or pharmacistWisconsin – state formulations do not allow UV dye in pepper spray
NOTE: It is best to contact your state or local law enforcement department to know whether the usage of pepper spray is legal or not.
Pepper Spray is a valuable self defense tool, but could be a weapon if not used properlyFollow the basic safety precautions and rules. Enjoy the feeling of security, confidence it offers.
For more information on personal safety products and their legal restrictions on their usage please visit http://www.bestsafetyapparel.com/peppersprays.html