League Two Betting Review – 23 April 2006

Carlisle became the first team in League Two to secure promotion following their 1-1 draw at Mansfield. The Stags looked to have delayed the promotion party when top goal scorer Ritchie Barker netted after 63 minutes but the Cumbrians levelled in the 92nd minute through their leading marksman Karl Hawley. The draw, available at 12/5 before kick-off, secured Paul Simpson’s side their second successive promotion.

Two goals in three second-half minutes kept Northampton in second place after a 3-1 win at Oxford. Chris Doig opened the scoring for the 13/10 Cobblers after 17 minutes while Martin Smith on 69 and Josh Low on 71 sealed a sixth win in seven matches. Defender Chris Willmott scored a consolation for United four minutes later.

Grimsby kept their hopes of automatic promotion alive with a 1-0 win over play-off chasers Cheltenham. Gary Jones scored the decisive goal for the 5/6 Mariners after 69 minutes.

Leyton Orient remained on the fringes of automatic promotion after being held 1-1 by fellow play-off hopefuls Lincoln. John Mackie gave Orient a dream start after two minutes but Jamie Forrester levelled on 36 for the match to end all square at 9/4.

Wycombe ended a run of six straight defeats with an emphatic 3-1 win at Rushden & Diamonds, putting Barry Hunter’s side on the brink of relegation. Marcus Kelly gave Diamonds the lead after 24 minutes but two goals in three minutes for Tommy Mooney on 62 and Roger Johnson 65 and a Mooney penalty two minutes from time saw a much-needed 2/1 for the Chairboys.

Torquay remain in the bottom two but have given themselves a fighting chance of survival after a 1-0 defeat of Wrexham. Martin Phillips netted the winner for the 7/5 Seagulls after nine minutes.

Stockport edged closer to safety by beating Shrewsbury 3-1 at Edgley Park. Jamie Ward broke the deadlock for the 13/10 Hatters nine minutes before the break and Kevin O’Connor double the advantage on 54. Glynn Hurst pulled one back for the Shrews 10 minutes later but a Mark Robinson penalty six minutes from the end ensured a precious home win.

Caretaker coach Steve Bleasdale quit his post at Peterborough just an hour before Posh ran out 3-2 winners against Macclesfield. John Miles gave the Silkmen the lead after 62 minutes, but Posh, under Barry Fry and Andy Legg, equalised through Danny Crow on 71 and took the lead through David Farrell on 83. Miles netted his second a minute from time to draw Brian Horton’s side level but Crow struck a last gasp 8/11 winner.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This