League One Betting Review – 23 April 2006

Southend’s promotion celebrations were postponed after they slipped to a 1-0 home defeat against Doncaster. The Shrimpers needed a win to book a place in the Championship next season but James Coppinger spoiled the party a minute after the break to set up an unexpected 5/1 away win.

Colchester crept into the automatic promotion spot after beating Bournemouth 2-1, their first away win since January. Liam Chilvers put the U’s ahead after five minutes but Stephen Cooke restored parity three minutes later. On loan Scott Vernon’s first goal for the club six minutes into the second half secured a 7/5 win. The result also guarantees Phil Parkinson’s side a play-off place.

Brentford also confirmed their place in the play-offs and left Swindon in a precarious position after a 3-1 win at the County Ground. Paul Brooker drew first blood for the 13/10 Bees after 27 minutes and Marcus Gayle added a second on 39. Aaron Brown pulled a goal back for the Robins after 70 minutes but Callum Willock made sure of the points five minutes later.

Huddersfield were another side which enjoyed a 3-1 away win, but the result sent opponents Walsall crashing out of League One. David Graham gave the Terriers the lead after 25 minutes and Pawel Abbott netted a second with seven minutes remaining. Michael Leary gave the Saddlers hope in stoppage time, but Andy Booth late on confirmed an 11/8 win and relegation for Walsall.

Barnsley clung on to their position in the play-offs with a 1-1 draw at Blackpool. Keigan Parker gave the Tangerines the lead after 21 minutes but Brian Howard ensured a share of the spoils on 53 at 12/5.

Swansea edged back into the play-off places with a 1-1 draw at Oldham. Luke Beckett gave the Latics the lead on the hour from the penalty spot but Kris O’Leary levelled for the Swans eight minutes later for a 12/5 draw.

Nottingham Forest’s run of six consecutive wins came to a dramatic halt as relegation threatened Hartlepool beat them 3-2. Nathan Tyson gave Forest the lead after 15 minutes but Joel Porter equalised on 32. Two quickfire goals from Michael Nelson on 59 and Michael Proctor on the hour secured a precious 9/4 win before Kris Commons gave Forest hope on 67.

MK Dons kept their hopes of League One survival alive with a last-gasp victory at Chesterfield. Clive Platt gave the Dons the lead after 13 minutes but Colin Larkin equalised five minutes after the break. With four minutes remaining, Gareth Edds struck the winner to seal a fourth successive win, this time at odds of 7/4.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This